Best Extreme Cold Weather Boots
In winter, the temperatures often drop to sub-zero levels, making it unsafe for you to undertake outdoor activities without the right protective clothing. However, you shouldn’t let cold weather prevent you from pursuing outdoor activities as you only need appropriate cold-weather clothing to keep warm. Besides warm coats, fuzzy scarves, and cozy hats, a pair of sturdy extreme cold weather boots should be a staple in your wardrobe this cold season.
Unlike ordinary leather boots, extreme cold weather boots are specially designed to stand up to severe weather. The best cold-weather boots should not only keep your feet warm but also comfortable and safe in freezing temperatures.
While there are many great extreme cold weather boots on the market, choosing the right pair can be pretty challenging as they vary greatly in terms of membranes, temperature ratings, outsoles, and other features.
Luckily for you, we’ve come up with a list of the best 20 extreme cold weather boots so you can narrow down your options and easily find a pair that will work best for you- whether you’re planning to go hiking, hunting, going to work, or just taking long treks outdoors.
Best 20 Extreme Cold Weather Boots Review
1. Baffin Men’s Impact Insulated Boot
With a record-breaking low-temperature rating of -148 degrees Fahrenheit, the Baffin Men’s Impact are hands down, the best boots for extreme cold weather.
This boot features an eight-layer insulation system that includes polyester and foam encased in a burly nylon and rubber shell. This means that these boots will keep your feet warm and well-protected even in the coldest places on earth. The inner liners are removable so you can replace them over time for the best insulation.
This boot also features a Gelflex midsole and a foam insole to provide your feet with comfortable cushioning and support all-day. The waterproof nylon upper extends beyond the ankle up to mid-shin, so you shouldn’t worry about your feet getting wet. There is also a waterproof cinch that helps prevent snow from entering inside the boot.
The extra buckles help to keep your feet securely in place as you trudge through heavy snow. The boot’s outsole is made of thick rubber, which gives you a great grip when walking on slippery environments.
- Rated for -148 degrees
- Removable liner
- Available in a range of colors and patterns
- Thick rubber sole offers excellent traction on icy environments
- Cinch keeps snow from getting into the boot
- Pretty bulky and heavy
- The boot isn’t breathable
2. Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4 Cold-Weather Boot
If you’re looking for the best budget cold weather boot to keep your feet warm, cozy, and completely dry in severe cold, then you can’t go wrong with the Kamik Men’s Greenbay 4.
These slip-on boots are well-made using a waterproof and lightweight yet durable nylon shell that extends 13″ beyond the arch to ensure complete protection in the harshest conditions. With a rating of minus 40 degrees and removable felt liner, you can rest assured these boots will keep your feet warm and dry in extremely cold weather at all times.
The drawstring opening helps to ensure your feet stay dry even when it’s snowing. This boot also keeps your feet well supported and snug, thanks to the adjustable Velcro closure strap. The waterproof and durable rubber sole provides excellent traction, so you can walk comfortably without worrying about falling or sliding.
- Well made to last
- Incredibly affordable
- The moisture-wicking liner keeps feet dry and warm at all times
- Lightweight shoe with outstanding protection from wet weather
- The rubber sole is both waterproof and self-cleaning
- The snow guard prevents snow and rain from getting inside the boot
- Limited sizes to choose from
3. Kamik Men’s NationPlus Snow Boots
Another outstanding extreme weather boot from Kamik and one of the best-selling boots on Amazon, the Men’s NationPlus Snow Boots guarantee to keep your feet warm, comfy, and safe in severe cold.
These boots are well-made using high-quality genuine leather that’s both water and abrasion-resistant and can withstand frigid temperatures that go down to -40 degrees. This also keeps you from worrying about water sipping inside the boot.
These budget boots have a removable inner lining that includes a 200-gram Thinsulate to provide you with the much-needed insulation to get you through the cold weather. The boot also features a rust-proof lacing system that not only helps to keep your foot in place but also comfortable while walking in deep snow.
- The moisture-wicking lining keeps feet dry throughout
- Long-lasting rust-proof lacing system
- Inner insulation keeps feet warm and protected during cold weather
- Comes at an affordable price
- Warm and comfortable
- The outsole could be made thicker
4. Sorel Men’s Caribou XT Insulated Winter Boot
If you’re looking for a pair of boots that’s not only fashionable but also warm and cozy for freezing weather then you can’t go wrong with the Sorel's Caribou XT Boots.
These stylish winter boots come with removable liners, which makes cleaning easy as well as replacing when worn out hassle-free for lasting comfort. The liner is made of 9mm ThermoPlus™ insulation that includes an Omni-Heat reflective layer. This means that these boots will keep your feet warm and well-protected from the extreme cold down to -40 degrees.
The upper is made of a wind and water-resistant synthetic textile that helps to ensure your feet are always warm and dry when you’re out in the freezing cold. The waterproof vulcanized rubber outsole provides enhanced durability and excellent traction when walking on icy grounds.
- Water and wind-resistant upper keep feet dry and warm all-day
- Vulcanized rubber outsole provides excellent traction in icy environments
- The omni-heat reflective lining keeps feet warm no matter how cold it is
- The boot has a timeless look
- Removable liner makes replacing with new ones possible.
- May be expensive for some
- Feels a bit heavy
5. Baffin Men’s Snow Monster Insulated All-Weather Boot
The Men’s Snow Monster Boots are another excellent pair of extreme cold weather boots from Baffin that’s sure to keep your feet toasty and cozy on your next trip to the polar ice cap.
These boots feature an eight-layer inner system with thermaplush insulation, which provides your feet with ultra-soft comfort and unbeatable protection and warmth from the severe cold down to -94 degrees Fahrenheit.
The midsole and outsole are well-molded to the base so you don’t have to worry about water seeping inside the boot. Another thing that makes this boot an outstanding option for extremely cold conditions is the high shaft that extends 11’’ above the arch, which helps to ensure your feet are completely protected and supported.
- Waterproof seam-sealed upper keeps feet dry always
- The snow collar prevents entry of snow into the boot
- Durable contoured insulated leather
- The lacing system allows for easy and convenient fastening with toggle
- Waffle-style footbed
- It has a removable liner with multiple layers of insulation for superior warmth and comfort
- Sizes run small, so consider going a size up
6. Crocs Men's All Cast Snow Boot
The Crocs men’s All Cast II is another great pair of boots that are uniquely designed to perform exceptionally well in extreme cold weather regions without causing any discomfort.
These boots feature a beautiful-looking duck toe style, making them a great casual wear for any outdoor activity in cold and snowy weather. The boot’s upper is made of waterproof synthetic nubuck in a seam-sealed design to ensure your feet are well-protected from the harshest conditions.
Another highlight feature of this boot is the croslite foam footbed that provides ample cushioning for added comfort and support of your feet as well as protection from extremely cold temperatures. These boots also provide insulated warmth in cold, snowy, and wet weather, thanks to the 200gram insulation system, warm faux-shearling collar lining, and gusseted tongue.
- Comfortably cushioned footbed
- Gusseted tongue and faux-shearling collar works well in blocking out cold and snow
- Lace-up front closure allows easy adjusting for a snug fit
- Nicely insulated to keep feet warm throughout
- The back pull tab allows for easy wearing and getting off the boot
- Great boot for extreme cold weather and tough terrains
- Supper-flexible non-skid outsole
- Runs small, so consider sizing up
- Limited color options to choose from
7. Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus IV Omni-Heat
The Men’s Bugaboot Plus IV Omni-Heat is a great mid-calf winter boot from Columbia that stands out from the rest for its lightweight design, top-notch traction, comfort, and superior warmth in cold weather conditions.
Besides being lightweight, these boots have a rugged design with waterproof uppers that include leather, webbing, and nylon materials. The boot has a seam-sealed construction that helps prevent water and snow from getting inside the boot, so your feet can stay dry and cozy while you’re out in the cold.
The patented Techlite midsole shell and foam provides comfortable cushioning and warmth without adding unnecessary weight. The boot’s inner Omni-Heat reflective lining with 200g insulated warmth helps to keep your feet warm in sub-zero temperatures of up to-25F temperatures.
The boot features a 1.5 inches heel and a shaft that extends 7 inches above the arch with a lace-up closure to ensure you get a snug fit and appropriate protection as you undertake outdoor activities in cold conditions.
- Provides insulated warmth for cold weather conditions
- Anti-slip rubber treads keep you stable even in icy and slippery grounds
- Lightweight foam midsole provides adequate cushioning and flexibility
- Available in a vast range of sizes and three different colors
- Waterproof and breathable uppers keep feet dry and comfy
- Lightweight enough for long treks
- The tongue may soak water in deep puddles
8. Sorel Men's Bear XT Insulated Winter Boot
Another great boot from Sorel’s amazing collection of stylish winter boots, the Men’s Bear XT a cold temperature rating down to -60 degrees so you can rest assured your feet will stay warm even in the coldest places on earth.
This boot stands out from the rest as its outsole that’s made using Sorel’s proprietary AeroTrac technology, providing you with excellent traction whether you’re walking on frozen snow or jagged ice. The vulcanized rubber covering improves the boot’s durability while providing added protection against snow and rain.
The boot also features a removable liner with an Omni-Heat reflective lining that works well in retaining heat to keep your feet always feeling toasty.
- High-quality and durable construction
- Water and wind resistant PU-coated upper
- Removable insole makes cleaning and replacing them easy and convenient
- The outsole offers good traction on snow and icy environments
- Fits true to size
- The boot may feel heavy for some wearers
9. Columbia Men's Bugaboot Plus III XTM Omni-Heat Snow Boot
The tallest winter boot in Columbia’s bugaboot plus line, the Men's Bugaboot Plus III XTM Omni-Heat Snow Boot is well-made to protect your feet from frostbites in extreme cold conditions of up to -65 -40 degrees Fahrenheit.
These boots feature a seam-sealed waterproof construction that includes a combination of tough materials including nylon, webbing, leather, and metal. This provides the much-needed support and comfort on your ankles, arch, and heel so you can walk comfortably and nicely protected.
This boot is also incredibly warm as it features thermal-reflective liners and 600 grams of insulation to keep your feet will never experience the harsh winter cold. The lightweight Techlite midsole provides adequate cushioning for your feet for all-day comfort.
- The tongue creates a wide opening for easy on and off
- The lacing system is easy to fasten and ensures a snug fit
- Incredibly warm and comfortable
- Well-made and durable
- Great-looking boot for any outdoor activity
- Omni-Grip sole offers great traction on slippery icy grounds
- Breathability could be improved
10. NORTIV 8 Men's Waterproof Hiking Winter Snow Boots
With a 9.84 inches tall shaft above the arch, the Nortive 8 Men’s Winter Boots works well in blocking snow while also ensuring complete protection of your feet from the harshest cold weather conditions.
These rugged winter boots have a solid construction that features water-resistant and breathable Oxford fabric and suede uppers for enhanced durability and feet protection. The boots are designed with thinsulate insulation lining that’s both moisture-wicking and breathable, so your feet can remain fresh, dry, and toasty in the coldest days.
The boot’s lacing system with an adjustable hook and loop closure allows you to get a custom fit for the most supportive and comfortable experience. There is also an adjustable bungee cord with a toggle that creates a wide opening for easy wearing and removing the boots. You also can tighten the cord to prevent rain and snow from getting inside the boot, making them an ideal option for outdoor hikes in winter weather.
With rugged non-slip rubber outsoles, you can go on with your outdoor activities in winter without worrying about slipping or sliding.
- Bungee closure and tall shaft keep snow and water out
- Rated down to -25 degrees Fahrenheit
- EVA foam midsole is shock-absorbing for cushioned comfort
- Slip-resistant outsole with tread grip
- Completely insulated to provide superior warmth
- Reflective decorative lines ensure night safety
- Some lacing eyelets come off while fastening
11. Salomon X Ultra Mid Winter CS WP 2
If you’re looking for the best winter boots to keep your feet warm and comfortable while hiking out there in the freezing cold weather but don’t like tall boots, then you may want to try out these X Ultra Winter CS WP 2 from Salomon.
Weighing less than 2 pounds, these shoe-like boots are super-lightweight, making them a great choice for snowshoeing and winter hiking. The boot’s upper is made of treated leather with an inner membrane of waterproof and breathable ClimaShield so no water penetrates to the inside.
Apart from the ClimaShield inner lining, this boot has a 200-gram Thinsulate insulation that ensures your feet are always warm while hiking in the freezing cold temperatures. This boot also boasts a unique lacing system that keeps your feet securely in position for a snug fit.
- Lightweight design makes long hikes enjoyable
- The lacing system ensures a secure fit
- Great for snowshoeing and winter hiking
- Super-cozy inner lining
- Not the best for wide feet
- Consider pairing with gaiters to block out snow
12. The North Face Mens Chilkat III Boot
Not only is the North Face Mens Chilkat III Boot one of the most versatile boots but also one of the most comfortable boots for extreme cold weather conditions.
These stylish boots have a solid waterproof construction made of leather uppers that help to keep snow and rain out as you enjoy hiking or snowshoeing outdoors in winter. On the inside, the boot features a padded collar and tongue and a cozy textile lining, which provides a superb-in-shoe feel.
The boot’s lacing system is simple and hassle-free to fasten, while the medium height shaft makes wearing and removing them incredibly easy for you. With 200g of insulation, compression-molded EVA midsole, and injection-molded TPR shell, you can rest assured this boot will keep your feet toasty, dry, and remarkably comfortable even in cold temperatures as low as -25 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Reasonably priced
- Keeps feet warm and dry
- Waterproof construction
- Incredibly comfortable and nicely cushioned
- Good traction and support
- A great versatile extreme cold weather boot
- Easy to pull on
- Not completely waterproof
- A bit bulky
13. The North Face Chilkat EVO Boots
Uniquely designed with Heatseeker insulation, The North Face Chilkat EVO Boot provides lasting dryness, warmth, and comfort when you’re out in extremely cold weather.
Apart from the 200g of insulation, this boot also has a molded footbed, which provides superior protection against harsh weather, keeping you from frostbites. The leather uppers work well in blocking out snow and rain from getting into the boot while the rubber outsole ensures you get incredible traction when walking on slippery winter environments.
- A strong and secure lacing system
- Waterproof leather upper
- Rubber outsoles provided superior traction
- Compatible with gaiters
- Incredibly comfortable and warm
- Runs slightly smaller, order a ½ size up
14. UGG Women’s Adirondack III Snow Boot
Featuring a solid construction, premium materials, comfortable fit, and impressive warmth, the Adirondack III from UGG is a boot worth considering in the cold and snowy winter season.
The UGG Adirondack III boots feature leather uppers and complete coverage real-wool lining with 200g insulation, making them incredibly warm and comfortable. This also gives them a cool stylish look for everyday wear during severe cold weather down to -26 degrees Fahrenheit.
Additionally, this cute winter boot features a 3-layer insole that includes EVA and memory foam, keeping your feet nicely insulated from the freezing ground while also providing a cozy, cushioned feel.
- Rated to -26 degrees Fahrenheit
- Stylish and rugged
- Rubber outsole for stable traction
- Wool lining and a cushioned insole for comfort
- Breathable design promotes proper ventilation
- True to size fit
- A bit pricier than other models
15. ALEADER Women's Mid-Calf Waterproof Winter Snow Boots
If you’re looking for a stylish pair of winter boots that will keep your feet feeling super-cozy, warm, and comfy in the nasty cold weather, then you should consider these Women's Mid-Calf Winter Snow Boots from ALEADER.
These fashionable mid-calf Women’s boots feature a seam-sealed construction made up of high-quality leather uppers with synthetic overlays to keep out water from seeping through, so your feet can stay dry and comfy all day. The 7.5 inches tall shaft provides extra support and protection from the harsh cold weather.
The faux fur tongue and collar lining add to the boot’s attractive looks while also providing extra comfort and warmth when you’re out running errands in the cold weather.
- The tall shaft provides extra support and protection
- Durable and waterproof leather uppers
- Comfortable and stylish boots for all-day wear in the winter season
- Lightweight midsole provides superior cushioning
- Adjustable lace closure gives a secure fit
- Rubber outsole provides excellent traction
- They run slightly large at the heel
16. Baffin Endurance (M)
The Endurance Winter Boot from Baffin is an excellent option that provides the perfect balance between fashion and functionality without compromising on performance to help you get through the extremely cold winter season.
This rugged winter boot features a rubber and textile upper with a tall shaft that measures 14.75 inches above the arch for maximum feet protection and durability while also being super-easy to clean. The reinforced 1.5 inches high heel and foam-cushioned midsole help to absorb impact and increase the distance between your underfoot and the freezing ground.
The boot’s inner lining consists of 8 layers of insulation to provide superior warmth in extreme polar climates down to -148 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Elastic lace and lace-lock allows for hassle-free adjustment
- Extendable snow cuff helps block out snow and rain
- The rubber sole offers superior protection and enhanced grip
- 8-layer inner lining offers adequate warmth and comfort
- Designed with a handy side-pocket storage
- Taped-seam construction for waterproofed comfort
- Runs small, order a size up
17. Bogs Bozeman Tall
If you’re looking for a great pair of boots to keep your feet warm and dry while removing snow from the driveway, shoveling the roof, or taking a walk in sub-zero outdoor temperatures down to -72 degrees F, you can’t go wrong with the Bogs Bozeman Tall Winter Boots.
Featuring a seamless construction made of lightweight yet durable neoprene and non-slip, flexible rubber sole make this boot super-easy and comfortable to walk in all day. Besides the outsole, the lower part of the boot is also covered in high-quality rubber to ensure a moisture-free and warm environment.
The 7mm waterproof Neo-Tech insulation on the boot’s upper helps to ensure your feet are nicely protected and warm without adding unnecessary weight.
- Great boot for extreme cold
- Lightweight design
- The outsole offers lasting comfort and stability in icy environments
- Great for outdoor winter activities and adventures
- Moisture-wicking lining keeps feet dry and cozy
- Provides a comfortable fit and arch support
- Limited calf protection
18. Sorel Joan Of Arctic
If you’re looking for a cute pair of boots that you can pair with your fancy dress, skinny jeans, or leggings while also keep your feet comfy, warm, and cozy in those extremely cold days, then you’ll be fine with the Sorel Joan Of Arctic Boots.
The fancy boot features an upper made of a combination of waterproof suede and leather material in a seam-sealed construction, which ensures your feet always have a dry and warm environment. The boot’s interior has a 6mm felt lining, which provides adequate insulation to keep your feet warm in extra chilly weather as low as – 25 degrees F.
- Goes with everything
- High-quality construction
- Rubber lower covering provides waterproof protection
- Provides excellent insulation from cold weather
- Lightweight and comfortable
- Removable liner
- Great for everyday wear
- Breathability could be improved
19. Vasque Snowburban II UltraDry Snow Boots
The Vasque Snowburban II is an excellent heavy-duty boot uniquely designed to provide maximum traction and protection for winter hiking and snowshoeing.
This robust boot features a leather upper and a high shaft that measures about 8" above the arch, which helps to prevent snow and water from entering into the inside. There is also a gusseted tongue that plays a role in keeping water from seeping into the boot and a rigid toe cap for extra protection from hard snow and ice.
The Snowburban II also features 400g Thinsulate insulation, a patented lightweight insole, and terry wool collar lining to keep your feet toasty, comfortably cushioned, and cozy throughout the cold winter season. They also come with an Omni-Grip rubber outsole for unparalleled traction on icy grounds.
- Lightweight insole provides lasting comfort and superior shock absorption
- Incredibly comfortable to wear
- Rubber outsole prevents slipping and sliding
- The rubber heel cup provides extra traction
- It has a front gaiter for attaching gaiters
- A bit difficult to get on and off the boot
20. Sperry Top-Sider Men's Avenue Duck Boot, Chukka Boot
Take on your daily outdoor activities in the harsh winter weather in these Sperry Top-Sider Men’s Avenue Duck Boots, which are designed with essential features to keep your feet warm and comfortable all day.
This boot features a leather upper in a seam-sealed construction along with thermal lining to ensure your feet are always protected from the nasty cold and wet conditions while also providing adequate warmth. These boots also come with non-marking rubber outsoles that provide excellent traction, keeping you from falling whether you’re walking on icy or wet grounds.
- The outsole has waving treads for maximum traction
- Protective waterproof seal
- Properly insulated to keep feet warm and dry
- Great-looking two-tone design
- The boots may be squeaky