Best Portable Shower Radios 2018
If you are a lover of music, you’ll definitely agree with me that shower time is always awesome. It’s that time of the day when we sing our hearts out to the detriment of our pets’ ears. Poor thing – they can’t help but listen to our awry voices.
A radio, in the bathroom – it’s going to be damaged by water. Well, you’re not just getting any radio into the bathroom. You’re getting a shower radio for your bathroom.
Shower radios are becoming increasingly popular, and they are now making our bathrooms cool and our shower time, fun. Before you purchase a shower radio for yourself, there are a handful of things you need to know.
Below, I’ve outlined some of the factors worth considering before choosing a shower radio.
Factors to consider when buying a portable shower radio.
- Price: Just like every product in the market, shower radios have a price tag on them. If your shower radio has extra features other than the standard radio, the price may increase significantly. If you aren’t going to be using the radio frequently, you should get yourself something less expensive. Set a budget and make sure you don’t exceed your budget no matter what.
- Size: If you have enough space in your bathroom to keep a large shower radio, then you can buy a large one. However, it is important to note that most shower radios come in small sizes and they are portable.
- Sound quality: The clearer the sound the shower radio makes, the better. You surely would not want to turn off the shower every now and then when you want to hear what is being said over the radio. The sounds made by a shower radio needs to be heard over the sound of running water.
- Features: Have you considered what type of features you’d like your shower radio to have? Some of the most common features you’ll find in a shower radio include an alarm system, a clock, flashlight and even Bluetooth connectivity. The more the features of the shower radio, the higher the price. Make sure to check out the features of each shower radio before making a purchase.
- Easy to install and use: You shouldn’t hire a team to come and install a shower radio for you, except of course you have enough money to spare. Most shower radios are easy to install. However, don’t assume all of them are. Like the saying goes, all that glitters is not gold. The shower radio should also be easy to use without needing to go through the installation manual.
- Installation point: That it’s called a shower radio doesn’t mean you should submerge it in water each time you bathe. Moreover, the shower radio should be installed in a place where it will get less water. This will ensure the longevity of the product. You’ll also save money in the long run.
- Control buttons: For effective use, the shower radio you intend to purchase should have reasonably large buttons. An added advantage is an LCD screen. Large control buttons make changing stations and switching music easier.
It is also important that you know the different types of shower radios. They come in a variety of sizes and features which distinguish them from one another.
Types of Shower Radios
- Analog shower radios
- Digital shower radios
- Compact shower radios
- Wireless shower radios
Analog Shower Radios – This type of shower radio is often manually fine-tuned with a knob by the owner. They work just like the normal radio and they’ve got no extra features at all.
Digital Shower Radio – At the press of a button, the digital shower radio automatically scans and finds available radio stations. Switching stations is easier on a digital shower radio than on an analog model.
Compact Shower Radio – As the name implies, the compact shower radios are more compact in size. They offer fewer functions and can fit perfectly into any space where they are kept. As a matter of fact, they are ideal for traveling. This is not to say that the digital and analog shower radios aren’t fit for traveling. It suffices to say that both classes of shower radios can be either compact or large.
Wireless Shower Radios – Bluetooth and WiFi shower radios fall under this category. You can wirelessly play music from your mobile devices while you sing along in the shower. Often times, the radio may have an SD card slot so if you’ve got a music-only SD card, simply slot it in and enjoy yourself.
Now, here’s what you’ve been waiting for…
Best Portable Shower Radios
Here’s a list of the three best shower radios under review.
|Image||Name of product||Yes||Weight|
|Sangean H201 Digital Tuned Shower Radio||Yes||1.14 lbs|
|iFo13 Bluetooth Shower Speaker with FM Radio||Yes||10.6 ounces|
|Conair SR10 Shower Radio||Yes||7 ounces|
Let’s take a look at these shower radios.
The Sangean H201 is a strong, sturdy and waterproof shower radio made by a notable brand. It’s a simple basic AM/FM radio with weather capability. With its digital feature, you can scan and store up to 10 radio stations. The Sangean H201 is a distant cousin of the Sangean H202 shower radio. Both of them have a handful of similarities.
The H201 has an LCD screen which displays’ the radio’s volume level, power level, time and timer settings. The LCD is conspicuously big enough to be seen across the room.
In terms of portability, the Sangean H201 is portable although it’s a tad larger than most portable shower radios in its category. It’s lightweight and can fit in any position where it is kept.
The Sangean H201 Shower radio also comes optional with Bluetooth function, an emergency buzzer, and a Speaker.
- Portable and lightweight.
- Digital scanning feature and can save 10 radio stations
- LCD screen display is large
- Emergency buzzer
- Slight exposure to water makes the radio faulty
Conclusion: The Sangean H201 Digital Shower Radio is a great music companion for the bathroom.
The iFo13 Bluetooth Shower Radio + speaker takes the shower radio thing to a whole new level. It combines the essential features of a radio with a portable music player that supports Bluetooth connectivity.
Unlike the Sangean H201, the iFo13 shower radio lacks an LCD screen. This makes it a bit harder to know the simple stuff like power level, the selected mode, and even time. However, the iFo13 shower radio makes up for this flaw with its other features like the call answering feature.
Using the call answering feature on the iFo13, you can make or receive a quick call if your phone is connected to it. This comes in handy when you remember something while you’re bathing. More so, you can easily pass the message across to your desired contact. Other buttons found on the iFo13 shower radio include its playback buttons.
The build quality is pretty good, and traveling with the speaker is as simple as detaching it from the bathroom wall, tossing it into your bag and embarking on your journey. It’s battery powered and takes just 3 hours to charge whilst giving you 8 hours playback.
The sound quality of the radio is fair and is loud enough to drown the sound of the running shower.
- Great sound quality
- Bluetooth feature with the call and answer button that allows you answer and make calls from your bathroom while you’re bathing.
- Battery powered (8 hours long lasting)
- Portable and lightweight
- No LCD screen
- Buttons are not backlit so it might be difficult to read them.
Conclusion: The iFo13 Shower Radio is a mini speaker radio that is fit for the shower. It’s water-resistant, so it can survive some minor and major splashes.
Second on our list of the best portable shower radios is the Conair SR10 shower radio. At first sight, the Conair SR10 analog shower radio looks a tad different from other radios. Its ergonomic design makes it look like something that just hangs on the wall of the bathroom. It doesn’t just hang there, it plays music too.
It’s more basic than the aforementioned shower radios above but that doesn’t make it lesser than any of them. The hanging hook snuggly holds the SR10 radio in place. Then, you can use any of the four buttons on the body of the radio to find your favorite radio stations. Additionally, the volume button allows you to tune the radio’s volume to your desired level.
Furthermore, its battery powered – it has a slot for four AAA batteries. For a relatively low price, you get the Conair SR10 analog shower radio. It sounds great, although not as mighty as you’d expect.
- The radio is portable and lightweight. It can fit into any pocket nicely.
- It’s battery powered
- Produces a fairly good sound for a radio its price
- Few buttons that help you find your favorite radio stations.
- The radio is waterproof
- If hung on a nail, it’s susceptible to falling if not gently touched
- Durability concerns often envelop products as cheap as this.