Did you know that sicknesses like pneumonia and frostbite are caused by exposure to cold? The winter season is undoubtedly the coldest season of the year in many parts of the world. One of the best ways to stay away from the cold is to keep yourself covered using the winter outerwear. Your children shouldn’t be left out either. Owing to the fact that there are a lot of designs and factors, mothers often find it hard to pinpoint which one is the best girls winter outerwear. Well, if you have a daughter, this buying guide will help you make the right choice.
Love this look?
By the time you’re done reading this article, you’ll learn some of the factors to consider when shopping for girl’s winter outerwear. Moreover, you’ll also know the types of winter outerwear for girls and some other important information you need.
To start with, here’s what you should know about buying a winter outerwear for your daughter.
Factors to consider when shopping for the best girls winter outerwear
Slowly read and assimilate the following…
- Look for the right size: There’s no gainsaying that you should look out for the right sizes – you already know that. However, it is important to take into consideration the sizes marked on the winter outerwear you intend to buy. Children tend to outgrow their clothing faster than adults. So if you don’t want them to look like they’ve overgrown the clothing, purchase the right size for them. As I mentioned in the boys’ winter outerwear buying guide, it is important to get sizes that are a little bit bigger than them. This would make your girls wear their winter outerwear a little longer. A great money saver for parents on a budget.
- Get an easy on, easy off girls winter outerwear for your daughter: Your daughter may spend a great deal of time away from you especially if you are a working-class mother. In your absence, your daughter might be prompted to take off her winter outerwear. If it’s not easy to slip on and off, she might be unnecessarily exposed to the cold. This is why it’s important to purchase an outerwear that is easy to slip off and on without extra assistance. Button jackets, for instance, may be difficult to button up especially if you’re wearing a glove and the button is small. Go for trousers and pants with elastic bands.
- Doesn’t retain stain: Consider the material used to make your daughter’s winter outerwear. If the materials retain stains easily, you may end up buying another girls winter outerwear sooner than later. Avoid silk and cashmere coats if you can – they retain stains easily.
- Don’t buy an outerwear with drawstrings: Drawstrings are the strings used to adjust clothing pieces. Drawstrings if not properly used by your child can get entangled and cause them to suffocate.
- Check the weight of the winter outerwear: Some of best girls winter outerwear can be quite heavy on the body of your child. If it’s heavy, it can cause discomfort and your child may take it off, leading to exposure to cold.
- Layer properly: For many mothers who prefer to clothe their daughters in light clothing, it is important to layer properly. By layering, I mean making sure that your daughter is wearing the right winter outerwear that can help provide the needed warmth. Consider the suggested layering style below
- Base layer: The base layer is the one directly in contact with the skin. For some, this may include the underwear for those who wear an underwear in winter. Others may prefer not to wear an underwear and instead they opt for a lightweight material. These lightweight materials are often made from polyester, polypropylene, silk or merino wool.
- Mid-layer: As the name implies, this layer sits directly on the base layer. Often at times, it includes a long-sleeved button-up shirt which is easy to put on and take off.
- Insulating layer: The fleece, wool sweater, down vest, jacket, etc. acts as the insulating layer. Many people who are used to staying out in the cold, they stop in this layer. Others opt for the outerwear layer which can be interchanged with the insulating layer.
- Consider your daughter’s age: At her age, there are probably a few clothes she shouldn’t wear, and some she’s free to adorn. Age can determine the size of cloth your daughter may put on. By taking into cognizance her age, you tend to buy clothes rated for people in her age range –not too small and not too big.
- Who is her favorite celebrity? Every little girl has a role model, a favorite cartoon character aside from Cinderella, and a favorite singer. The earlier you ask her those questions, the better for you. You don’t expect a girl to love ben ten styled clothing when there’s Cinderella themed wears in the store. And just because her elder sister had a thing for some particular celebrities doesn’t mean the younger one will. Always do your homework.
- What’s her favorite color? Just like you have your favorite color, your daughter also has one color that appeals to her the most. Find out which color it is and try to shop around that color. But hey, don’t overdo it. A mixture of other colors especially the neutral colors will go a long way to make sure that she keeps looking adorable always. Need I also mention that you flowery and pink patterns on their clothing may not always appeal to them? Sometimes, opt for bold and plain designs on their clothing.
- Which occasion is she wearing it to? The occasions she’ll be attending during winter can determine what type of winter outerwear you buy for her. The best girls winter outerwear isn’t really reserved for any special occasion by the way. You can get a coat or a jacket or even a fleece if the occasion demands such. If she’s going to be indoors most of the time, she should own more lightweight winter outerwear and maybe two or three thick jackets for the road.
- Any special activities? Special activities often require special arrangements. Some of the special activities held in winter include hiking or skiing. If you’re going for any of these activities and your daughter is coming with you, she should be properly protected from the cold weather. You certainly wouldn’t want her to be exposed to cold while she’s having fun, would you?
The Different Types of Girls Winter Outerwear
Arguably, a variety of outerwear for girls abound but not everyone knows this – most girls are used to wearing just the jacket and sweater. This part of the article will show you the various types of girls winter outerwear.
Winter coats form part of the outermost winter outerwear a girl wears. It is often interchanged with the jacket, but the winter coats are slightly different from the jacket. I made mention of the difference in the women’s winter outerwear buying guide.- $15.00Bestseller No. 1- $10.20Bestseller No. 2
Jackets are a smaller version of coats also worn as the outermost layer or the insulating layer. The difference between jackets and coats is that the jackets seldom go beyond the waist in length.- $26.00Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1- $12.00Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
Parka:- $83.99Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1- $9.60Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
The fleece is the most common girls’ winter outerwear. I mean, who doesn’t own a fleece? Fleeces are mostly worn indoors – this doesn’t mean you cannot wear them outdoors. The fact still remains that they don’t provide much warmth when you are in a very cold environment. Hence, they are used for layering and are also worn in areas with a little cold.- $13.00Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1- $5.67Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
If you want to give your girl the puffed up look whilst keeping the cold away from her, the puffer girls winter outerwear is your best option. The puffer is worn as an outerwear on top of a layer of fleece or thin, lightweight clothing. The pillowy puffed up look of puffers make noticeable wherever it’s worn. It can also be used as a multipurpose girls winter outerwear especially if you intend to use it for special activities like skiing or skating in the snow.- $83.99Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
The pea coat/pea jacket is an outerwear that provides minimal protection from the winter elements. It should only be used in mildly cold regions and should be used on layered clothing for proper protection.- $9.72Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1- $39.00Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
Bomber jackets have become the in thing for girls. Looking like walkway divas, properly dressing them in a bomber jacket will complement your daughter’s beauty.Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1Bestseller No. 1- $9.20Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2Bestseller No. 2
You’ll agree that shopping for the best girl’s winter outerwear is a lot easier, thanks to guides like this. This suffices to say that this guide has done justice to the issues and questions that pertain to buying winter outerwear for your daughter.